Thursday, September 30, 2010

Can you say CHIHULY?!!!!!

Here are several examples of some of my student's Chihuly inspired artworks... Most Macchia- today though Kindergarten learned about Ikebana! They first sketched their Ikebana's with sharpie, then watercolored them! They were so cute!


Next the 1st and 2nd graders made Macchia using coffee filters, markers, and spray starch. I had them cut an organic shaped lip first, then colored them with markers, and finally folded them over a yogurt container and sprayed them; to give them a bowl shape once the starch dryed. They students loved this and they turned out pretty neat. I then hot glued them by classes onto matt board and hung them in the hallway.

The coffee filter drapped over a yogurt container.

First Graders!

Second Graders, I made them keep warm and cool colors seperate. Hit an extra standard with these guys!

Close up!

Finally today 3rd and 4th graders created Macchia using the Dura Lar plastic from Dick Blick. I loved the way that Andrea from the Frist had done altered this process from the Blick lesson plan: rather than having the students manipulate the dura lar while handling it IN the hot water, I simply dipped it in the hot water and placed it over the yogurt cup/ form and the students (while wearing gloves) press their hands onto the dura lar over the form- creating again that bowl like form! We used sharpies and Sharpie paint pens- which worked really well because you can paint the dura lar BEFORE putting it in the water, making it much easier to paint while it is still flat!








26 comments:

  1. Did you heat them up in a boiling pot of water? How did you do it? I tried several techniques on my own and couldn't come up with something satisfactory. I like your idea of having the kids mold it over a yogurt container while wearing gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to try the Macchia using coffee filters,they look wonderful on the matt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this so so much! I really love how they look together. How stiff are they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be doing those Macchia from the coffee filters...spray starch huh? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are stiff enough to hold the form, particularly if sections are overlapping- then the pieces stick to one another and that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my! this is so very awesome! just found you and now i need to redo my search for spray starch, i can never find it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cool, and I have been given a gift of a zillion GIANT coffee filters (from a convenience store coffee maker) so I have to try this. A question, since i'm pretty ignorant about Chihuly - I think it's all so cool to look at, but I have limited actual info - so - what does 'Macchia' mean? And how about Ikebana?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure the Dura Lar plastic from Dick Blick is awesome but I don't have the budget for extra things. I have seen this on MANY art teacher blogs now. I'm jealous! However, you have given me an alternative. Coffee filters! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This I like!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. these are great! when i try it i make sure to direct people to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. would it work with clear plastic mylar type sheets? I'm overseas and don't have dura-lar.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OHHHHHH I love it! We did a Chihuly with shrink plastic 2 years ago that is still up. Thanks to your idea we are going to have a new display.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Try white glue mixed with water. Form the art, and you may need something like a yogurt cup or other structures to help hold while the glue dries overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, How long did this take? I'm putting together a Chihuly-inspired Family Class where I work and need to know about time-frames. :) I also like the idea of not having to put them in the oven, because parents freak out about the plastic fumes. :)
    emorris@dbg.org.
    thanks, Emily

    ReplyDelete
  16. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Buk3au7jM84

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tried this but the coffee filter did NOT stiffen up at all.I sprayed it with the starch above and left it to dry over a yogurt container, next day I checked it and it was just like any paper. Is there a magic trick to this?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing this! I work with Elders, the oldest being 96 and they have a variety of limitations which we prefer to think of as opportunities. I've been looking for a way for them to create works based off of Chihuly. The coffee filters will work great!! Duralar was posing an issue for my group who for the most part cannot stand at a sink and doing that anywhere else would be hazardous. The filters get around this limitation beautifully and since we've been working with watercolor this project will be a great transition to some 3-D material manipulation and creation! I think they are going to love this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I use shrink wrap. I get a roll of it. I trace decent size circle shapes (so the kids do not waste the shrink wrap. I cut in between the circles. Students can work on the circle design with permanent sharpies. When they are ready, I form them over a paint bottle and warm up with a hair dryer to shrink them into a form.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You can actually do this with water too. i am sure it does not get as hard but I made a collaborative piece for the hall and it stayed pretty well. Obviously if it got handled without out care, it would still crumple, but hey, I am on BUDGET. starch would be a luxury! lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. Definitely hoping to try this with my preschool art students during our Art History unit next month! Did you wet the coffee filter after coloring to help the marker colors bleed, or did the spray starch do that for you? I've never used it before so I don't know how liquidy it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love these! Do you have written instructions for this?

    ReplyDelete