Next the 1st and 2nd graders made Macchia using coffee filters, markers, and spray starch. I had them cut an organic shaped lip first, then colored them with markers, and finally folded them over a yogurt container and sprayed them; to give them a bowl shape once the starch dryed. They students loved this and they turned out pretty neat. I then hot glued them by classes onto matt board and hung them in the hallway.
The coffee filter drapped over a yogurt container.
Second Graders, I made them keep warm and cool colors seperate. Hit an extra standard with these guys!
Finally today 3rd and 4th graders created Macchia using the Dura Lar plastic from Dick Blick. I loved the way that Andrea from the Frist had done altered this process from the Blick lesson plan: rather than having the students manipulate the dura lar while handling it IN the hot water, I simply dipped it in the hot water and placed it over the yogurt cup/ form and the students (while wearing gloves) press their hands onto the dura lar over the form- creating again that bowl like form! We used sharpies and Sharpie paint pens- which worked really well because you can paint the dura lar BEFORE putting it in the water, making it much easier to paint while it is still flat!