Friday, September 30, 2011

Warhol Identity Cans



After taking a trip to the Frist this past month, 4th grade students have been diving into a variety of Warhol inspired lessons. This one I borrowed from another fabulous Metro art teacher here in Nashville, Ms. Tina Atkinson. In this lesson we discuss the concept of identity in relation to labels, specifically a Campbell's soup can. Labels at the grocery store help tell us what is inside the packages that we are buying. The first label we are given as babies is our gender, then our name. Students use their last name as the identity of the brand name, and their first name as the "flavor." Example: I am Motta soup, Rachel flavored. Here are the results, again check out our artsonia page for more examples...
 



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this - I just finished a different soup can lesson and I was a little bored with it. I'll remember this for next time.

    ReplyDelete