Friday, June 18, 2010

Tessellations: Art and Math Teachers coming together

Last week was exploration week for the theme based around the Adventure Science Museum trip. Leslie Franklin the math teacher and I collaborated to teach the students about pattern and tessellations.

First we watched a video on how to create tessellations from crystal. This video was really well done and broke it down really well for the students.


Some of the students did a really great job with this assignment. Others didn't do so great. This is a difficult lesson to do with students with special needs, but you sometimes don't know what they are capable of until they try.


3 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I have a mixed bag of student levels so I keep those Escher tessellation puzzle pieces handy. You can order them from Dick blick. They are basically tracers of escher shapes. Once they use them they start to understand the concept at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another AMAZINGLY simple, sweet, and brilliant idea! In the short time I have been following your blog, you have inspired me numerous times. I wanted to tell you how thankful I am for your creativity and for sharing your ideas with me, so that my little ones can experience the fun and love that inspired your activities. I am giving out 15 blogger awards and you are on my list. Visit my site to see it and to give out awards yourself. http://www.cowsgomooandducksgoquack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOve these.....do you have a feedburner service so I get an e-mail when you post a new post?

    Thanks

    Miriam
    www.murchart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete